March 20, 2008

A New Day in the District

As I sit here at one of my favorite haunts, Downtown Grill and Brewery, I think about how grateful I am to live in such a great, all-be-it small, community in downtown Knoxville. It's true that it's not huge, it's not the most cosmopolitan, and there are a number of problems we face in continuing the successes we have made in downtown, but there is no doubt that this area is heading in a great direction.

From Mechanicsville to Chilhowee Park, from the Fort to Gay St. there seems to be a steady progression of revitalization. Excitement about downtown and the central-city district is evident. We have a City Mayor who is committed to seeing success in District 1A, and the results are evident.

We all know the great things that are happening, but there have been problems as well, specifically with our county government. If you're reading this then you probably have been paying attention to the series of continual failures that is our County Commission. Not only have the Commissioners (many of them at least) failed to uphold the law (term limits), but they then had the gall to put in friends, relatives, and people who would owe them if they were put in place.

Listen, I'm not the smartest person in the world, I'm not the most knowledgeable about how to run a government, I don't have lots of money, and I'm not going to make a bunch of promises. What I will do is commit to promoting District 1A for what it is, a dynamic, exciting, and integral part of what makes Knoxville unique. I mean hey, we've got the Sunsphere.

Please, give me your consideration as we head to the polls this August. I'm fighting an uphill battle, but I think it's a battle worth fighting.

Write in Spellings, Write Out Nepotism

No comments: