March 24, 2008

The Why.

I have been asked numerous times by people as to why I am running. I guess this is only natural since most people would A) Even think about running or B) run as a write in candidate. It’s important for me, an unknown, to lay out clearly my motivations for getting involved in local politics when that seems to be the realm of the Baby-Boomers right now.

Don’t get me wrong, this is not a generational fight. We have some great leadership from that generation and some not-so-great. My motivation comes from the idea that there should always be an option for people to choose a none-of–the-above. Too often, especially in our Knox County elections, there seems to be a limit to the viable parties to choose from.

I believe that political parties have played and continue to play an important and necessary role in our nation’s political system. I have worked for one of these parties in a national election. Without the support of a large apparatus it would be impossible to coordinate the hundreds of thousands of voters and workers. The difference is, on a local level the necessity isn’t there. My affiliation with a national party has little ramification upon how I feel about the maintenance of our roads, the zoning of our communities, or the number of businesses that get beer and liquor licenses.


Sure it’s an easy way to get a portion of voters to be sympathetic to your cause, but what has a candidate told us about themselves when they claim the mantle of a Republican of Democrat? I want to know where the person stands on property taxes and schools more than where they stand on abortion and the War on Terror.

I believe that a person who is committed to serving his or her community should not look to party bosses for their direction but to their neighbors. I want to know what is needed in the First District. What do my neighbors need from their local government? Are the taxes to high? Is there improper zoning that is driving down property values? Are businesses being encouraged to expand in our district and to bring in better paying jobs?If you have an opinion please, let me know.

Local government has more of an impact on the day to day issues than the Federal or State government does, because local government is, well, local.


No comments: