May 18, 2008

An Imperfect Candidate

In recent weeks I have tussled with myself over the direction of my campaign. During this slow time before the election it is easy to become self-reflective about why I am running and what I have to offer. And as the title of this post reflects, I have discovered that I am an imperfect candidate.

When I consider my shortcomings I get rather discouraged. I don't have decades of experience working in county government, I'm not a lawyer, and at the ripe old age of 25 I am running against other candidates who have very admirable qualities about them. Mr. Baah is a business owner, that is one of the most difficult and respectable careers in my opinion, to take onto yourself the responsibility of managing, operating, and maintaining a business. Mr. McKenzie has years of experience working with ORNL which also shows he must be a capable and organized individual.

I am a young man, working a relatively entry level position at a very respected insurance company in town. My life consists primarily of my wife, my church, my friends, and my work. But it struck me yesterday, while I was watching all types of people enjoy themselves at the the farmers market downtown , what it is that I offer to the voters. I offer my two greatest commodities, my time and my passion.

It is the community that makes me want to run. I look at the passion of those around me, those who have invested so much of their personal time, treasure, and hopes for a better future into this community and I say to myself, "How can they not have someone representing them in government who feels the same?"

So that is what I offer the people of District 1, a reflection of their own commitment to a strong and vibrant community in Central Knoxville.

I'm not a perfect candidate, but I am the candidate most likely to understand what it is that compels us all to work for a stronger and safer community for everyone.

No comments: