May 20, 2008

My First Campaign Promise

Well it had to happen.

Eventually every candidate does it and so here I am to make my first promise to my constituency.

I, John Cullin Spellings, on this the 20th day of May in the Year of Our Lord 2008, do hereby solemnly vow to never vote to allow the use of Red-light Cameras in Knox County.

Whew, there I did it it's done. I've been fretting over what would be my first promise and I fell this is one that I can certainly keep. I despise those cameras, I don't understand how they can #1 be legal, and #2 be accepted by any freedom loving group of people. I won't go into my rant about them here, you can read my many rants on the Wigshop blog if you like though.

This came about from Sunday while listening to George Corda's (sp?) show on 100.3 FM and the entire show was about these cameras. I did call in and speak my peace, or at least ask a few questions of one of the city judges who upholds the cameras lawfulness, such as it is.

It was a typical enough discussion until he mentioned that the county had not YET approved the use of the cameras. Wow, so this could happen to us, well that's what I thought at least. It just takes a few greedy commissioners to decide that what's good for goose is good for the gander.

So I am here to say that if elected I will fight tooth and nail against these things on the basis of their fundamental disrespect for so many of the traditions of law enforcement and because of the clearly questionable civil rights issues they arise.

So there you go, the first and long anticipated campaign promise, kind of anti-climactic isn't it.

2 comments:

ck said...

surprise surprise
get rid of those things!

Tennessee Jed said...

Yep, the county don't want red light cameras they want speeding cameras.

I wish you luck on your campaign!