April 7, 2008

Knox Charter Petition Group

I'm sitting at West High School listening to some of our county commissioners and many of our citizens discuss the proposed amendments to the Knox County Charter and I'm noticing something:

None of the 1st district Commissioners are here.

Now there are many of these meetings and perhaps they've attended the others, but I am not seeing them here tonight. I am interested in this group and their ideas and I think there is a lot ot be said about making legal, structural changes to the Charter.

I'm not going to go into detail at this time, but I will be bringing this issue up again and maybe addressing some of the specifics to agree or disagree.

I will say however that I was disappointed when the group dropped their amendment to have make all County Commission seats non-partisan. We can go back to my original principle for running, that national party ideals have little bearing on local government practicalities.

No comments: